Liberalian News Service

Liberalia's Leading News Service

Thursday, November 09, 2006

Interview with the Prime Minister

Fernetti contacted Fishyguy to carry out an interview to gain an insight into our new Prime Minister.

Here it is:

Hey Fishyguy, on behalf of the LNS, I wanted to interview you with a few questions if you don't mind biggrin.gif ?

I don't mind at all, I'm flattered really. smile.gif Thanks for the opportunity to discuss with you my thoughts.


What plans do you wish to achieve this upcoming term?

There is much to do during the next two months, and I look forward to working with everyone. One of the things I have already done is to appropriate government positions based solely upon ability and activity levels, not party affiliation. I feel it is important to have a government unified in its determination to work hard, not unified by political stance.

In Parliament, I wish to continue amending past legislation for the better, and draft new bills for the furtherment of democracy in the region. A bill drawing on the strong points of the Articles of Confederation is important, as is introducing more bills to protect, rather than restrict, personal freedoms. Also, reducing poverty and supporting environmental conservatism are two points that should not be overlooked, which usually surprises my leftist friends to hear.

Liberalia's relations with outside regions have grown stale, I hope to reach out to old time friends and establish new ties with many regions. Liberalia is a large region with plenty of information to share, and should seek similar democratic regions to partner with. This includes patching relations with some members of The Serenade.

Our regional numbers are falling, and this is true of all of NationStates. A combined effort on recruitment using different techniques will reach more people than we have before, including telegrams and regional message board letters, forum postings, and advertisements in off-site websites and forums.

Also, Liberalia's one year anniversary will be at the end of December. Celebrations of our rich history and vibrant culture is an event I anticipate with excitement.


How do you feel about being the first non-left wing prime minister of liberalia?

I'm honored to hold this position at all. The fact that the Libertarians, Liberalia's largest party, helped elect me to office is a bonus.


How do you think this will affect the government?

I may have beliefs differing form many of the previous Prime Ministers, but that should not worry anyone who did not vote for me. If I have shown anything so far, I hope it is a commitment to political unbias. I am also a firm adherent to government transparency and accountability. I wish to disclose as much information as reasonable on normally unseen government decisions and functions, and will never allow slanderous, abusive, or inactive government members to remain in office.


Do you have specific legislation you wish to get passed

Yes, as I mentioned, a bill that defines some of the government's structure, like the Articles of Confederation had, is a goal of mine, also introducing some bills favorable to the Libertarian view of society. I trust most legislation to be handled by the excellent members of our Services Ministry.


In your official candidate speech, you wrote "My respected opponent would have you think that, as a Libertarian, I am working to undermine the region's strong base of social support systems. This is obviously not the case" In the libertarian manifesto, it says "Bottom line – we are for smaller government, fewer taxes and more freedoms." How do you reconcile both of these statements?

The Libertarian Party Manifesto is not my guidebook to life by any means. It is also against welfare systems and environmental regulation, which I am not. As a Libertarian, I oppose statism in all its forms, but my campaign had never been about reworking the Liberalia government to fit the ideals of "Smaller government and less taxation" as Curiaistan alleged.


What is one thing you wish to get rid of this term?

Government inefficiency, wherever it is found, will be removed.


How do you think your term will differ from previous terms?

I think it will differ in its intra and inter-regional cooperation and prosperity, and be remembered for acheiving peace and justice.


Thanks a lot for your cooperation Fishyguy.

It was a pleasure. I am open for discussion anytime. smile.gif

In other News:

After a month of a state of Cold War in RP between Curiaistan and Carops, Hasadon chucked the match into the petrol can and ignited a conflagration due to consume the whole of Liberalia.

Liberalian War III is here. Check out the RP sections for the latest news!