Election Fever
Election fever is hotting up in Liberalia. There are elections for Prime Minister and the Temporary Guardians.
Every election is in its own way controversial. Carops v. JT was rancorous and bitter. RTI v. Haelhan was derided as boring. Fernetti v. Soccersian ended up with a tied vote.
This is no different. It started off calm, Curiaistan and Fishyguy declared their intents. There was a civilised debate and then all hell broke loose. Screen prints were taken of RTI and Carops being seen in the secure party forums leading to accusations of cheating, illegality and attempts to derail the CR-Libertarian election campaign. The admins were outraged at the implied impungment of their reputations. Curiaistan angrily asked for an apology for a "pretty dishonourable slur."
Soccersian went behind the backs of his own party, being cross at the way they isolated him after he went off on one. Carops gleefully exposed the telegram sent to him in which Soccersian admitted that he supported the CR-Libertarian stance to regain favour but all the while supported the admins position.
Soccersian subsequently launched into an astonishing attack on Carops full of swearing and casting doubt on his sexuality. This was in breach of the T&Cs of the Invision Forum and he was promptly banned, never to return.
Time passed and life on the forum returned to normal. The election debates continued and a final speech made by both Prime Ministeral candidates.
here are some of the highlights.
Fishyguy
"A lack of work opportunities, combined with the full services provided by many national welfare systems encourages permanent dependency upon the system. Welfare should be a step towards success, not a way of life."
"Encouraging savings and fiscal responsibility is important, as is training for a specific job while being flexible enough to modify your skills."
"private services can be provided at a better cost and quality than public ones."
"I only support abortion in cases of rape or when the mother's life is placed at risk, but would not interefere in places that allowed abortions with the consent of both parents."
"I would never forge contracts or treaties without the input and consent of the region."
"f forced to choose a single band, I would have to go with Dream Theater"
"For too long appointments have been handed out as personal rewards for favors. This is not fair towards the general population of Liberalia."
"With any bill, protecting individual liberties is of high importance, and I would like to see this region pass more bills securing freedoms rather than restricting them."
"I consider myself very experienced in terms of the game mechanics and political structure of NationStates."
"It would be foolish to think that one person could lead Liberalia without a social support network of highly valued members. (Carops could, but he's exceptional
)"
"It is no law of nature that the Prime Minister's party should be the only one to enjoy their term. Other long-valued members do not cease to be relevant. Any person should know that they may be a participant in the government through dedication."
"The input and active involvement of the Liberalia people is what keeps the government credible. I have undertaken measures on my own, such as starting a voting record, to increase my personal transparency."
Curiaistan
"The nature of social welfare is about helping people at a basic level to subsist. It is my belief that people should be helped rather than demonised."
"The private sector are out to make money. They have to. They have to employ people and buy computers. You do get non-profit making companies but on the whole, private sector companies first priority is towards their shareholders. I do not beleive this is compatible with the ethos of the public sector."
"It may give the impression that I am copying Fishy's responses but a deputy foriegn minister with possibly their own secretariat would be implemented."
"I shall rename Ministery of Justice to that of Ministery of Liberalian Law. This will set out a clearer expectation of what is to be done."
"I wish to work more on environmental matters in order to make a difference in terms of reducing carbon footprints and reduce the impact of climate change."
"I have been a member of this region since December and I am the tenth member to sign up to this forum. Since then, I have held a variety of posts within Liberalia including two successful terms as Speaker."
"I have a programme of action that I want to see carried out in my term. I would therefore need people who can actually do the job. I also need people who I can work with. It really is about learning who one can work with and who I can't."
"I disagree with his History is Bunk thesis but that is not a matter for this debate"
Official Candidate Speeches
Curiaistan
"Firstly, I would like to thank Fishyguy for running a good clean campaign. It certainly makes a nice change"
"A Curiaistan term as Prime Minister will build upon the achievements of the current term. It will strengthen and build upon the foundations laid in the law to build a fairer, progressive, peaceful Liberalia."
"They are from the Centre-Right-Libertarian grouping, their policies? Smaller government and less taxation. These are fine, at the right time and place and as long as these don’t leave behind the poorest of society and increase in inequality."
"The most important policy plans for my term should I be elected is The Environment"
"I am one of the oldest members of the forum. In Carops’ first term, I was Culture Secretary. I helped to implement important laws on preserving the culture of Liberalia and to allow free speech by restricting the ability of people to monopolise the press."
"I and my Liberal Party Colleagues also worked hard to ensure that important bills have passed. I have been delighted at the level of co-operation that we have had and I wish for these state of affairs to continue."
"I took the lead in prosecuting Supreme Chancellor Vallidorium AKA JT with a successful outcome. I have always tried to be fair and even handed to everyone irregardless of political affiliation."
"Vote Curiaistan, vote for progress, peace, liberality, equality, freedom and justice."
Fishyguy
"Since I joined, I have worked tirelessly in several areas. In Parliament, I scrutinize everything written, having helped in the drafting of many bills and even writing my own"
"I was also the first to keep a voting record to improve my personal transparency."
"I would also grant government positions based upon knowledge and leadership ability, not political favors, and never keep inactive or disrespectful members in their offices."
"My respected opponent would have you think that, as a Libertarian, I am working to undermine the region's strong base of social support systems. This is obviously not the case, and simply panders to the party lines I seek to overcome."
"We have the makings of a great region: an open democratic system, a respectable level of discourse, and most importantly, active dedicated members. Don't let it go to waste by leaving people of differing political affiliations behind. Liberalia will be at its greatest when we all work together."
Every election is in its own way controversial. Carops v. JT was rancorous and bitter. RTI v. Haelhan was derided as boring. Fernetti v. Soccersian ended up with a tied vote.
This is no different. It started off calm, Curiaistan and Fishyguy declared their intents. There was a civilised debate and then all hell broke loose. Screen prints were taken of RTI and Carops being seen in the secure party forums leading to accusations of cheating, illegality and attempts to derail the CR-Libertarian election campaign. The admins were outraged at the implied impungment of their reputations. Curiaistan angrily asked for an apology for a "pretty dishonourable slur."
Soccersian went behind the backs of his own party, being cross at the way they isolated him after he went off on one. Carops gleefully exposed the telegram sent to him in which Soccersian admitted that he supported the CR-Libertarian stance to regain favour but all the while supported the admins position.
Soccersian subsequently launched into an astonishing attack on Carops full of swearing and casting doubt on his sexuality. This was in breach of the T&Cs of the Invision Forum and he was promptly banned, never to return.
Time passed and life on the forum returned to normal. The election debates continued and a final speech made by both Prime Ministeral candidates.
here are some of the highlights.
Fishyguy
"A lack of work opportunities, combined with the full services provided by many national welfare systems encourages permanent dependency upon the system. Welfare should be a step towards success, not a way of life."
"Encouraging savings and fiscal responsibility is important, as is training for a specific job while being flexible enough to modify your skills."
"private services can be provided at a better cost and quality than public ones."
"I only support abortion in cases of rape or when the mother's life is placed at risk, but would not interefere in places that allowed abortions with the consent of both parents."
"I would never forge contracts or treaties without the input and consent of the region."
"f forced to choose a single band, I would have to go with Dream Theater"
"For too long appointments have been handed out as personal rewards for favors. This is not fair towards the general population of Liberalia."
"With any bill, protecting individual liberties is of high importance, and I would like to see this region pass more bills securing freedoms rather than restricting them."
"I consider myself very experienced in terms of the game mechanics and political structure of NationStates."
"It would be foolish to think that one person could lead Liberalia without a social support network of highly valued members. (Carops could, but he's exceptional
"It is no law of nature that the Prime Minister's party should be the only one to enjoy their term. Other long-valued members do not cease to be relevant. Any person should know that they may be a participant in the government through dedication."
"The input and active involvement of the Liberalia people is what keeps the government credible. I have undertaken measures on my own, such as starting a voting record, to increase my personal transparency."
Curiaistan
"The nature of social welfare is about helping people at a basic level to subsist. It is my belief that people should be helped rather than demonised."
"The private sector are out to make money. They have to. They have to employ people and buy computers. You do get non-profit making companies but on the whole, private sector companies first priority is towards their shareholders. I do not beleive this is compatible with the ethos of the public sector."
"It may give the impression that I am copying Fishy's responses but a deputy foriegn minister with possibly their own secretariat would be implemented."
"I shall rename Ministery of Justice to that of Ministery of Liberalian Law. This will set out a clearer expectation of what is to be done."
"I wish to work more on environmental matters in order to make a difference in terms of reducing carbon footprints and reduce the impact of climate change."
"I have been a member of this region since December and I am the tenth member to sign up to this forum. Since then, I have held a variety of posts within Liberalia including two successful terms as Speaker."
"I have a programme of action that I want to see carried out in my term. I would therefore need people who can actually do the job. I also need people who I can work with. It really is about learning who one can work with and who I can't."
"I disagree with his History is Bunk thesis but that is not a matter for this debate"
Official Candidate Speeches
Curiaistan
"Firstly, I would like to thank Fishyguy for running a good clean campaign. It certainly makes a nice change"
"A Curiaistan term as Prime Minister will build upon the achievements of the current term. It will strengthen and build upon the foundations laid in the law to build a fairer, progressive, peaceful Liberalia."
"They are from the Centre-Right-Libertarian grouping, their policies? Smaller government and less taxation. These are fine, at the right time and place and as long as these don’t leave behind the poorest of society and increase in inequality."
"The most important policy plans for my term should I be elected is The Environment"
"I am one of the oldest members of the forum. In Carops’ first term, I was Culture Secretary. I helped to implement important laws on preserving the culture of Liberalia and to allow free speech by restricting the ability of people to monopolise the press."
"I and my Liberal Party Colleagues also worked hard to ensure that important bills have passed. I have been delighted at the level of co-operation that we have had and I wish for these state of affairs to continue."
"I took the lead in prosecuting Supreme Chancellor Vallidorium AKA JT with a successful outcome. I have always tried to be fair and even handed to everyone irregardless of political affiliation."
"Vote Curiaistan, vote for progress, peace, liberality, equality, freedom and justice."
Fishyguy
"Since I joined, I have worked tirelessly in several areas. In Parliament, I scrutinize everything written, having helped in the drafting of many bills and even writing my own"
"I was also the first to keep a voting record to improve my personal transparency."
"I would also grant government positions based upon knowledge and leadership ability, not political favors, and never keep inactive or disrespectful members in their offices."
"My respected opponent would have you think that, as a Libertarian, I am working to undermine the region's strong base of social support systems. This is obviously not the case, and simply panders to the party lines I seek to overcome."
"We have the makings of a great region: an open democratic system, a respectable level of discourse, and most importantly, active dedicated members. Don't let it go to waste by leaving people of differing political affiliations behind. Liberalia will be at its greatest when we all work together."

<< Home